Sunday, November 24, 2013

Blog Post #14

What Did I Leave Out?
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” 
                                                                                              ~Benjamin Franklin

http://shakespeareunit.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/4/6/10467095/8151789_orig.png
For this blog post, Dr. Strange has given us the reigns as far as choosing what to write in this post. I have to admit that I was surprised when I found this out, but I was also excited. For blog post #14 I have decided to create an assignment that goes along with my major, which is elementary education. While looking up something else up for EDM 310, I came across this video of Playworks creator, Jill Vialet. As a future elementary education teacher, I believe that playing and hands-on-activities are great for students! Jill Vialet tells a great story of how she created Playworks and how playing is important to education.

What can We Learn about Teaching and Learning From Jill Vialet ?

Watch Jill Vialet's TED TALK Video What Can We Learn From Play?. Think about the teaching methods that she recommends to teachers and educators.

NOTE: The question asks you to address what we can learn about teaching and learning.

Answer the question in a post that adheres to the standards found in the ACCRS and in Writing A Quality Blog Post.

What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Jill Vialet?




In Jill Vialet's TedTalk, What Can We Learn From Play?, she discusses her nonprofit Playworks and the importance of
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfuwbIekfofYgtS04BOPvdX3lVk8QquVpWsYXhbTduPt7S-FYL
connecting to students. She begins her presentation by telling the story about her encounter with an elementary school principal. More than fifteen years ago she was running a children's art museum and they art residences at local schools. At one of the elementary schools she had a meeting with the principal. The principal begins desperately talking 
about how her teachers do not care about recess and that the problems that are happening outside of school are creating problems in the classroom. She finally asks Jill to help her solve this problem. When asked to do this, Jill began first tried to solve the problem was by identifying with the students and thinking about what she wanted at that age. Jill believes that the problem with education reform and schools is that they forget to identify and relate to the students. She that play should not be thought of as the opposite of work. Jill believes that play is the fundamental sign of our inhibition. Years later, Jill started her non-profit Playworks that creates an environment for students that give them a choice, feedback, and support. 




No comments:

Post a Comment